Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Accepting Change

     A lot of people I know hate change. They think it's inconvenient and annoying. It makes them go out of their way to accommodate. I personally don't mind change at all, partly because I realize change is the only  constant in life, partly because change has been a big part of my life, and partly because though sometimes change does make things harder, a lot of the time change makes things easier. 
     When I was ten, my parents bought a new home and we moved. That change was better, since we were moving from a trailer (with built-on additions to accommodate five growing children, a couple of them nine years apart) to a double wide. Instead of us all having to share rooms with one another, we each got our own room. And instead of my parents' bathroom having the only shower and bath, the new place had three full bathrooms. Though us kids had a rough time with the move, leaving the only home we knew and all, the improvements made it easier. The move and change of space was a good thing. And who doesn't want a bigger home, right?
Image from www.carbonated.tv.
     The most noticeable change that we all experience is growing older. Though this can and gladly should be a slow process, no one likes admitting their age once they pass forty. Why don't they like to admit their age? Well, because today's society tends to leave the elder behind. The young don't usually listen to the old and wise. I did, but from everyone I know, I was the only one to take the time to listen and learn from others' experiences in life. Because I listened, I feel I'm better off in my life for it. I was able to make informed decisions when facing life choices, because I listened to my Grandmother, and I feel I made the right choices. Some will tell you they've made a lot of mistakes, but wouldn't change a thing about their life if they could, because they've learned from their faults and became a better person because of the bad choices that they've made. But if we would listen to the aged and wise, we could all have better lives without the mistakes. Growing older is looked upon as a bad thing, especially when it makes living more difficult. But aging is a necessary change, and a good change, whether we as individuals realize it or not. Don't get me wrong, there are pros and cons to getting older, no matter what age you are, but if we don't grow older, our lives can't really be lived. Imagine never accomplishing the necessary changes in life to qualify you to drive, to date, to have children. We would always have to depend on others for our needs. Growing older gives us independence, a necessary independence for living a full life.
     No matter what we do to stop change, the work is in vain. No matter how much you dye your hair and how many face lifts you get, you still age, and you still change. It's inevitable and we all must accept it sooner or later. So why not accept it before putting so much effort into trying to stop it?

No comments:

Post a Comment